17/03/2014

Teddy Bear Breads


There is something very important to me about making my food look good, and who would be able to resist these cute teddy bear breads. I am big fan of homemade bread, however I have never got around to learning how to make bread rolls so when I saw Sandra Mangas' idea to make bread rolls look like adorable little teddy bears, it gave me the push to give bread rolls a go. 

Ingredients

  • 300 g strong wheat flour
  • 1 sachet (about 5g) instant dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 level teaspoon salt
  • 40 g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 egg (medium size, about 50 gr)
  • 175 ml whole milk

Directions

  1. Put the flour and yeast in a bowl and combine. Add the sugar and salt. Then pour the egg and milk into the bowl also and mix together.
  2. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead. You will feel the dough become elastic after kneading for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the butter and knead the dough for 10 -15 minutes or until the dough is soft, pliable, smooth and slightly shiny, almost satiny. (I found this was really hard work and definitely took a while to do)
  4. Put the dough into a lightly floured bowl and cover with a cloth.
  5. Let the dough rise in a warm place until its size doubles (1 – 1 ½ hour depending on the room temperature).
  6. Preheat oven to 400º F / 190ºC
  7. Take the dough out of the bowl, deflate it by touching lightly.
  8. Cut the dough into pieces (aprox. 16), and roll each of them into a ball - remember you will also have to leave enough to make 2 ears for each of the larger balls which can be stuck on using a bit of water.  
  9. Place them on greased tray and let them rest for a further 15 minutes before putting them into the oven.  
  10. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown
  11. Let the breads cool, draw the eyes and nose with a black edible marker, and serve inside a mug. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. looks so so cute yet yummy! gonna try this soon, thanks for sharing!


    Love,
    Pudding Monster

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so tasty and cool! I have to try this. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I just can't with how cute these are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These bears look so cute and delicious. I'm hungry now. Damn...
    xx Maria

    http://mle-photographies.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I saw this on your instagram, Love it! They are almost too adorable to eat. I'm going to have to try this out. These would be great for a dinner party!

    xox,
    anna-lamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete