16/11/2015

Who Made My Clothes?


It's not often that I feel extremely compelled to make a post about an issue that I'm so passionate about, but today I want to ask you to question; who made your clothes? 

Unless you're a raging nudist, we all wear clothes, so one way or another we all engage with the fashion industry. As a Textile Design student I feel at the heart of this issue, and it does concern me that I could be heading into an industry that is not only based around materialism and greed but more worryingly produces such an endless amount of stuff! 

The fashion industry is all about profit, but what is the true cost of the clothes we buy day in and day out? What is the cost of the air pollution from all the pesticides used to grow all the cotton, or the cost of water pollution from the many chemicals? What is the cost of the factory workers who have died in less than safe work conditions? We need to stop asking how good do the clothes look on me, and start asking how the clothes got to the shop floor in the first place. 

Fast fashion has taken off enormously in the last couple of years and our population now consumes 400 times more than we did just two decades ago, so our greed for materialistic items is undeniable. I really recommend that you all watch a documentary "The True Cost" (available on Netflix) which will clearly articulate this issue in it's true light. It has dramatically changed how I look at the fashion industry and highlights the truths, that these major fashion brands are trying not to expose. 

I particularly want to direct you over to the Fashion Revolution website. There you can read more about the fashion truths and find out how you can be a fashion revolutionary yourself. To join in the revolution, simply take a selfie showing the label on your clothing and tweet/Instagram that photo to the brand asking them "WHO MADE MY CLOTHES?" 

(#FASHREV)

No comments:

Post a Comment