08/02/2016

Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday in the Chinese calendar, marked with celebrations with family and friends to mark a new beginning for the coming new year. I have always been attracted to  the beautiful bright colours, lights and flamboyant costumes of the festival. I would love to one day go and see the hustle and bustle of the festival myself, and be immersed in the vibrant colours, sounds and smells for myself. 

If you haven't yet got your resolutions set in stone or have started the new year off on the right foot, Chinese New Year is a reminder that it's not too late for a fresh start. As I talked about in my post "A Time To Reflect," 2016 is going to be my year of self-discovery (as cliche as that sounds). I really want to find out who I am and be content with that, as well as working on aspects of my personality that I am not so content with. My Chinese Zodiac sign is the year of the pig, which has characteristics of being honourable, philanthropic, determined, optimistic, sincere and sociable. I don't personally read to much into star signs and their meanings but it has given me a sense of direction to work in. 

I really wanted to capture the hustle and bustle feeling in my outfit so I mixed some bright patterns with my crop top and shorts. Colour is really important in Chinese culture, and yellow in particular is the most prestigious of all colours with references to good luck. I hope my sunflower shorts bring my good luck for the coming year and I wish you all best wishes for 2016. 

Top - Topshop // Shorts - American Apparel // Sandals - Topshop // Sunglasses - Ray Bans

1 comment: