22/08/2016

Why You Should Travel Solo In Your Twenties


The Australian adventure has finally come to an end, and I have to say I am currently suffering from some severe travel blues. So to cheer myself up I thought I would share a roundup of why I think travelling on your own in your twenties is the way to go. Travelling on your own can definitely be a bit of an unnerving experience especially if it's your first time. I was quite apprehensive before going on my trip around Australia, and solo travel can have its drawbacks for sure, but ultimately I think it's much more self enriching and this is why;


You can do/ see whatever you want whenever you want.

Compromise is rarely an issue when travelling alone. Have a lazy day if you are needing one, spend the day wondering around an art gallery, or change your plans last minute


You are meet new people you might never have otherwise

At times traveling alone can get a little lonely, so making friends with others is the easiest way to always have company by your side. I had the best laughs with people I may not have otherwise spoken to if I was traveling with someone else. I listened to some amazing traveller stories and learnt a lot of tips along the way which made my travels a heck of a lot easier. 


Getting lost doesn't have to be a drawback. 

I made the brave decision to not use any mobile data during the months I was away (as it was going to coats me £6 a megabyte!) so Google maps was never an option when I was out and about, and being on my own I had to be independent. With that said I met lots of lovely locals who helped direct me, and even some that offered to give me a lift to places. Getting lost can also mean meeting interesting people too and reminded me that I am totally fine in situations on my own. 


You learn that doing things alone can be empowering 

I was worried that doing things alone all the time would get very lonely but in fact I started to feel a sense of empowerment doing things solo and really started to enjoy my own company. 


Get you out of your comfort zone 

Say yes! When someone new invites you for a drink say yes, if you are invited to do a skydive say yes; I'm sure you get the picture. No one else is standing next to you to influence your decision and you don't want to live with the regret of not trying something that you wish you did so just do it! I tried so many new things and met so many new people because I said said yes more often than I said no. (Obviously keep this idea within perspective, don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.)


(All photos were taken on my trip around Cairns, Australia)
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

1 comment:

  1. nice photos
    new post:
    http://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete